[slurm-users] ticking time bomb? launching too many jobs in parallel

Guillaume Perrault Archambault gperr050 at uottawa.ca
Tue Aug 27 17:16:48 UTC 2019

HI Brian,

Thanks a lot for your recommendations.

I'll do my best to address your three points in line. I hope I've
understood you correctly, please correct me if i've misunderstood parts.

"1) If you can, either use xargs or parallel to do the forking so you can
limit the number of simultaneous submissions  "
I think that's a great idea! I will look into it

"2) I have yet to see where it is a good idea to have many separate jobs
when using an array can work.

    If you can prep up a proper input file for a script, a single
submission is all it takes. Then you can control how many are currently
running (MaxArrayTask) and can change that to scale up/down"

The reason I don't use job arrays is to be able limit the number of jobs
per users (as explained, not sure how well, in my reply to Paul's second
message).

Perhaps it doesn't fall into the "good idea" because there are good methods
to limit jobs run per user at the job array level; I'm still trying to
figure out if there are.

"Here is where you may want to look into slurmdbd and sacct

Then you can create a qos that has MaxJobsPerUser to limit the total number
running on a per-user basis: https://slurm.schedmd.com/resource_limits.html"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this an admin-side solution, am I right? I
cannot create a qos as a user?

I'm trying to implement a user-side solution so that the user can limit the
number of jobs.

I use two clusters (or two sets of clusters to be exact), and this is
valuable on both for (slightly) different reasons:

1) A small-ish cluster of about 140 GPUs that does not use fair share, and
where they do not want to set a hard limit on number of jobs per users
because it may change over time, especially around conference dedalines.
But they do want users to have the ability to self-manage the number of
jobs they run, hence my script doing this from the user side

2) A large cluster that uses fairshare. But the fairshare is at the
association level. So within an association, we want users to be able to
limit the number of jobs they run, similar to cluste 1.

I hope I've understood your suggestions and replied on-topic. My apologies
if I've misunderstood anythig.

Regards,

Guillaume.