[slurm-users] Setting NodeAddr dynamically and not in slurm.conf

J.R. W jwillis0720 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 05:07:23 UTC 2019

I’m trying to set my cloud nodes dynamically. In my slurm.conf, I do not specify a NodeAddr.

PartitionName=cloud Nodes=ALL Default=YES MaxTime=INFINITE State=UP
NodeName=CPRuby1 CPUs=2 State=Cloud

My PowerSave script will then update the slurm controller via control with an IP address that AWS assigns me.

$scontrol update nodename=CPRuby1 nodeaddr=<MyNewIPAddress> state=POWER_UP
$sinfo
cloud*       up   infinite      1    idle CPRuby1

Awesome! I can see by both the log files that the controller and the slurmd are indeed communicating and waiting for a job. However, when I try:

srun "echo hello world"
srun: error: fwd_tree_thread: can't find address for host CPRuby1, check slurm.conf
srun: error: Task launch for 7.0 failed on node CPRuby1: Can't find an address, check slurm.conf
srun: error: Application launch failed: Can't find an address, check slurm.conf
srun: Job step aborted: Waiting up to 32 seconds for job step to finish.

It seems like the slurm controller is hell bent on me declaring the IP address ahead of time in slurm.conf. Is what I’m trying to do not possible?

Using slurm 15.08.7

Thank you,
Jordan