[slurm-users] Upgrading a slurm on a cluster, 17.02 --> 18.08

Baker D.J. D.J.Baker at soton.ac.uk
Wed Sep 26 09:55:43 MDT 2018

Thank you for your reply. You're correct, the systemd commands aren't invoked, however upgrading the slurm rpm effectively pulls the rug from under /usr/sbin/slurmctld. The v17.02 slurm rpm provides /usr/sbin/slurmctld, but from v17.11 that executable is provided by the slurm-slurmctld rpm.

In other words, doing a minimal install of just the slurm and the slurmdbd rpms deletes the slurmctld executable. I haven't explicitly tested this, however I tested the upgrade on a compute node and experimented with the slurmd -- the logic should be the same.

I guess that the question that comes to mind is.. Is it a really big deal if the slurmctld process is down whilst the slurmdbd is being upgraded? Bearing in mind that I will probably opt to suspend all run jobs and stop the partitions during the upgrade.

Best regards,

David