[slurm-users] Upgrading a slurm on a cluster, 17.02 --> 18.08

Chris Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Wed Sep 26 04:26:42 MDT 2018

On Tuesday, 25 September 2018 11:54:31 PM AEST Baker D. J.  wrote:

> That will certainly work, however the slurmctld (or in the case of my test
> node, the slurmd) will be killed. The logic is that at v17.02 the slurm rpm
> provides slurmctld and slurmd. So upgrading that rpm will destroy/kill the
> existing slurmctld or slurmd processes.

If you do that with the --noscripts then will it really kill the process?
Nothing should invoke the systemd commands with that, should it?  Or do you
mean taking the libraries, etc, away out underneath of the running process
will cause it to crash?

Might be worth testing that on on a VM to see if it will happen.

Best of luck!
Chris