[slurm-users] About x11 support

Chris Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Sat Nov 24 04:40:15 MST 2018

On Saturday, 24 November 2018 9:12:26 AM AEDT Mark Hahn wrote:

> I think it makes sense.  Traditionally, DISPLAY=:0 means "the X server on
> the machine where the client is running".  You can trivally
>   export DISPLAY=`hostname`$DISPLAY
> and Slurm will be happy, won't it?  IE, you have given it an actual
> network-aware DISPLAY setting.

Slurm will be happy, but your X server may not be...

chris at quad:~$ echo $DISPLAY
:0
chris at quad:~$ export DISPLAY=localhost:0
chris at quad:~$ xterm
xterm: Xt error: Can't open display: localhost:0

So you'll need to add an xauth cookie for that trick to work.

> But isn't the case being discussed where the submit host actually is
> running an X server, and also on the same (trusted/routable) network
> as the compute node?
>
> In which case you don't want Slurm doing anything at all.  Just let the
> X client read DISPLAY from the environment propagated by Slurm.

Yes, but see above.

All the best,
Chris