[slurm-users] About x11 support

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Fri Nov 23 15:12:26 MST 2018

> Sadly that's exactly what I'm saying.   Your $DISPLAY variable is : followed
> by a number and that's what I'm saying that Slurm forbids, though I'm not
> clear why.   The code checks like this:

I think it makes sense.  Traditionally, DISPLAY=:0 means "the X server on
the machine where the client is running".  You can trivally
  export DISPLAY=`hostname`$DISPLAY
and Slurm will be happy, won't it?  IE, you have given it an actual
network-aware DISPLAY setting.

But isn't the case being discussed where the submit host actually is
running an X server, and also on the same (trusted/routable) network
as the compute node?

In which case you don't want Slurm doing anything at all.  Just let the
X client read DISPLAY from the environment propagated by Slurm.

regards, mark hahn