[slurm-users] About x11 support

Christopher Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Wed Nov 21 16:26:06 MST 2018

On 22/11/18 5:04 am, Mahmood Naderan wrote:

> The idea is to have a job manager that find the best node for a newly
> submitted job. If the user has to manually ssh to a node, why one should
> use slurm or any other thing?

You are in a really really unusual situation - in 15 years I've not come
across a situation before this where a user would have GUI access to a
system that can submit jobs directly to a cluster like you can.

I'm not sure why Slurm has this restriction but it might be that you can
start up an xterm, change your $DISPLAY to be localhost:0 and see if you
can start an X11 application from that.  It might be that you'll need to
add an xauth cookie for localhost to get that going.

If it does work then (hopefully) you can use that trick to fire up jobs
with X11 display forwarding.

All the best,
Chris