[slurm-users] About x11 support

Marcus Wagner wagner at itc.rwth-aachen.de
Wed Nov 21 00:53:36 MST 2018

Hi Chris,

On 11/20/2018 09:09 PM, Chris Samuel wrote:
> On Wednesday, 21 November 2018 12:16:04 AM AEDT Mahmood Naderan wrote:
>
>> So, I am *guessing* that the latest version of slurm is not compatible with
>> 1804 from Centos. In other word, something has been added/fixed in the ssh
>> library which is now causing some mismatches.
> It's not getting that far, you first need to fix the problem that causes this error:
>
> srun: error: Cannot forward to local display. Can only use X11 forwarding with network displays.
>
> as srun looks likes it's stopping for you there with the required --x11 flag.

This is not an error, Mahmood could fix. This is the same for me. It is,
because I can submit from my workstation directly to SLURM. So DISPLAY
ist set to ":0".
So it is a socket, which is prohibited by SLURM:

    if (display[0] == ':') {
       error("Cannot forward to local display. "
             "Can only use X11 forwarding with network displays.");
       exit(-1);
    }

The 'fix' for Mahmood would be to ssh to another host and then submit
the X11 job.

Best
Marcus

--