[slurm-users] About x11 support

Chris Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Tue Nov 20 13:09:47 MST 2018

On Wednesday, 21 November 2018 12:16:04 AM AEDT Mahmood Naderan wrote:

> So, I am *guessing* that the latest version of slurm is not compatible with
> 1804 from Centos. In other word, something has been added/fixed in the ssh
> library which is now causing some mismatches.

It's not getting that far, you first need to fix the problem that causes this error:

srun: error: Cannot forward to local display. Can only use X11 forwarding with network displays.

as srun looks likes it's stopping for you there with the required --x11 flag.

We're running 18.05.3, built from source, with CentOS 7.5.  Haven't gone to 7.6 yet.

One thing I just realised I'd not mentioned is that for this to work the user
needs to be able to SSH from the compute node back into the login node without
being prompted for any reason.

All the best,
Chris