[slurm-users] What's the best way to suppress core dump files from jobs?

Ole Holm Nielsen Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Thu Mar 22 10:19:06 MDT 2018

On 03/21/2018 08:44 PM, Michael Jennings wrote:
> On Wednesday, 21 March 2018, at 20:14:22 (+0100),
> Ole Holm Nielsen wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your friendly advice!  I keep forgetting about Systemd
>> details, and your suggestions are really detailed and useful for
>> others!  Do you mind if I add your advice to my Slurm Wiki page?
>
> Of course not!  Especially not for you. :-)  You are always welcome to
> repost/share any helpful/useful information I've provided, even from
> direct e-mails.  I would tell you if I wanted something kept
> confidential....  :-)

Great, I'll shamelessly copy your Systemd setup to my Wiki page
https://wiki.fysik.dtu.dk/niflheim/Slurm_configuration

> Writing and maintaining good system documentation is an essential, and
> often far too rare, quality of a good sysadmin.  Someone who takes the
> time and care to document and share their know-how and experience with
> their teammates is worth their weight in gold.  Someone who goes a
> step further and documents publicly for the benefit of the overall
> community?  Well, they're worth their weight in platinum!  (Or, in my
> line of work, plutonium!) ;-)

I'm humbled by your very nice comments!  For me it's just best
practices, helping myself remember how to do complicated setups, and
possibly helping others as well.

I don't know the critical mass of Plutonium, but I fear that my weight
in Pu would far exceed an amount to store safely as a single bar of
metal ;-)  Platinum would be preferred for me :-)

> Your hard work and dedication to the global SLURM/HPC community
> continues to be noticed and greatly appreciated.  I just wish there
> were more of you! :-D  And FWIW, I point folks to your wiki and pestat
> constantly.

I use the "pestat" command all the time myself!  People can get pestat
and my other Slurm tools from https://github.com/OleHolmNielsen/Slurm_tools

/Ole