[slurm-users] What's the best way to suppress core dump files from jobs?

Michael Jennings mej at lanl.gov
Wed Mar 21 09:29:04 MDT 2018

On Wednesday, 21 March 2018, at 12:08:00 (+0100),
Ole Holm Nielsen wrote:

> One working solution is to modify the slurmd Systemd service file
> /usr/lib/systemd/system/slurmd.service to add a line:
>   LimitCORE=0

This is a bit off-topic, but I see this a lot, so I thought I'd
provide a friendly warning.

The "right" systemd way to do this is either to put a new unit file in
/etc/systemd/system/ which will completely override the one in
/usr/lib/systemd/system/, *OR* you can create
/etc/systemd/system/slurmd.service.d/core_limit.conf and put ONLY the
following in it:
  [Service]
  LimitCORE=0

This will *supplement* the SchedMD unit file rather than causing you
to have to maintain a patched/modified version until the end of
time. :-)

Opinions on systemd are varied and often rather passionate, but one
thing they did get right (IMHO) is making it easier for distribution
providers, software packagers, and system engineers to all have a say
in how things are configured without stepping all over each other's
toes!  ;-)

Michael

--
Michael E. Jennings <mej at lanl.gov>
HPC Systems Team, Los Alamos National Laboratory