[slurm-users] What's the best way to suppress core dump files from jobs?

Michael Jennings mej at lanl.gov
Wed Mar 21 09:22:55 MDT 2018

On Wednesday, 21 March 2018, at 08:40:32 (-0600),
Ryan Cox wrote:

> UsePAM has to do with how jobs are launched when controlled by
> Slurm.  Basically, it sends jobs launched under Slurm through the
> PAM stack.  UsePAM is not required by pam_slurm_adopt because it is
> *sshd* and not *slurmd or slurmstepd* that is involved with
> pam_slurm_adopt.  That's what I believe Tim was referring to (I just
> skimmed the bug report so maybe I missed something).
>
> In this case the recommendation to use UsePAM=1 still applies since
> you want PAM to affect the behavior of jobs launched through Slurm.

Agree 100% with what Ryan said.  SLURM uses PAM internally
specifically for the purpose of limits, per:
https://github.com/SchedMD/slurm/blob/master/src/slurmd/slurmstepd/pam_ses.c

We use it here, and our /etc/pam.d/slurm looks like this:
  auth            required        pam_localuser.so
  account         required        pam_unix.so
  session         required        pam_limits.so

As for documentation, I found more good info reading the above source
code than anywhere else, but YMMV!  ;-)

Michael

--
Michael E. Jennings <mej at lanl.gov>
HPC Systems Team, Los Alamos National Laboratory