[slurm-users] Job runtime

Chris Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Sat Mar 17 22:13:00 MDT 2018

On Sunday, 18 March 2018 5:46:50 AM AEDT Mahmood Naderan wrote:

> Excuse me but I think that is wrong.

I think we're talking at cross-purposes, I thought you were puzzled about why
CPU time was less than the total time in a general context (not purely within
Slurm).

> "Elapsed" is the wall clock time.

Correct.

> "UserCPU" should be "NCPUS*Elapsed".

No, that's CPUTime (as mentioned in the sacct manual page).

UserCPU is a measure of the time that the CPU spent running the program in
user space as reported by the kernel.  Note the caveat about it on the sacct
manual page:

https://slurm.schedmd.com/sacct.html

Also note that how you tell Slurm to gather statistics affects its accuracy.
I've pretty much always used the cgroup method as that seems to give better
accuracy to me (especially for memory usage).

All the best,
Chris