[slurm-users] Automatically setting OMP_NUM_THREADS=SLURM_CPUS_PER_TASK?

Bjørn-Helge Mevik b.h.mevik at usit.uio.no
Wed Mar 7 01:18:47 MST 2018

We have the following code in our TaskProlog:

## Set $OMP_NUM_THREADS unless it was set when calling sbatch or in the job script:
if [[ -z $OMP_NUM_THREADS ]]; then
    if [[ -n $SLURM_CPUS_PER_TASK ]]; then
        echo export OMP_NUM_THREADS=$SLURM_CPUS_PER_TASK
    else
        echo export OMP_NUM_THREADS=1
    fi
fi

It sets OMP_NUM_THREADS to SLURM_CPUS_PER_TASK (or 1 if --cpus-per-task
is not specified), unless already set.  That way, users can override it
in their job script if they wish.  It seems to work fine.

--
Regards,
Bjørn-Helge Mevik, dr. scient,