[slurm-users] which daemons should I restart when editing slurm.conf

Ole Holm Nielsen Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Thu Jan 4 03:33:08 MST 2018

On 01/04/2018 11:05 AM, Juan A. Cordero Varelaq wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have the following configuration:
>
>   * head node: hosts the slurmctld and the slurmdbd daemons.
>   * compute nodes (4): host the slurmd daemons.
>
> I need to change a couple of lines of the slurm.conf corresponding to
> the slurmctld. If I restart its service, should I also have to restart
> the slurmdbd on the head node and the slurmd daemons on compute nodes?

The slurmdbd database daemon operates independently of slurmctld and
slurm.conf.  No need to restart slurmdbd.

Regarding restart of slurmctld and slurmd daemon: It depends on *which*
changes you make in slurm.conf.  I wrote some notes about this in my
Slurm Wiki:
https://wiki.fysik.dtu.dk/niflheim/Slurm_configuration#reconfiguration-of-slurm-conf

/Ole