[slurm-users] Limit number of CPU in a partition

Ole Holm Nielsen Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Tue Jan 2 05:33:30 MST 2018

On 01/02/2018 12:59 PM, Nicolò Parmiggiani wrote:
> My problem is that i have for instance 100 CPU, and i want to create two
> partition each with 50 CPU maximum usage. In this way i can submit job
> to both partitions independently.

I wonder what you really want to achieve?  Why do you want to divide
your 100 CPUs (nodes or CPU cores?) into 2 partitions?  The queue will
be much more flexible if identical nodes constitute 1 partition.

If you really insist on splitting up your nodes into 2 partitions, you
can configure that in slurm.conf, for example with 100 nodes named
a001..a100:

PartitionName=partition1 Nodes=a[001-050]
PartitionName=partition2 Nodes=a[051-100]

If you wish, you can look at my Slurm Wiki pages for inspiration:
https://wiki.fysik.dtu.dk/niflheim/SLURM
https://wiki.fysik.dtu.dk/niflheim/Slurm_configuration

> <nicolo.parmiggiani at gmail.com <mailto:nicolo.parmiggiani at gmail.com>>:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     how can i limit the number of CPU that a partition can use?
>
>     For instance when a partition reach its maximum CPUs number you can
>     submit new job but they are put in queue.

/Ole