[slurm-users] Set priority without sudo and without a database ?

Loris Bennett loris.bennett at fu-berlin.de
Mon Feb 12 04:50:41 MST 2018

Fabien ELOY <eloy.polytech at gmail.com> writes:

>>  Hi Fabien,
>>
>>  Fabien ELOY <eloy.polytech at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>  > Hello,
>>  >
>>  > I am trying to set priority ... but it doesn't work !
>>  >
>>  > If I type sudo srun --priority=X, it's OK. But if I use my "standard" user it's not OK (priority calculated by slurm).
>>  >
>>  > I do not have a database used with SLURM.
>>  >
>>  > Il my slurm.conf, "SlurmUser=slurm" and my server has 2 users in the same group (slurm) : these users can run SLURM command ... but impossible to set priority.
>>  >
>>  > Is there a solution to define a user as an admin SLURM ? Is it the problem there ?
>>  >
>>  > Thank you for your help.
>>  >
>>  > Best regards,
>>
>>  I assume you are using the multifactor plugin and I don't think normal
>>  users are intended to be able to set the priority themselves. The
>>  danger would be that all users would increase their priority as much as
>>  possible.
>>
>>  You probably what to look at QOS. This would allow you to, say, define
>>  a high-priority QOS which had a priority bonus but also limit on how
>>  many cores per user can uses the QOS. That way
>
> Hi Loris,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
> SLURM jobs are submitted by a JAVA application and there is only one SLURM user.
> Should we use another plugin (not multifactor plugin) ? Is it a way to fix user rights ?

[snip: removed slurm.conf (49 lines)]

I don't have any experience of this kind of setup with a single user nor
in fact any setup not using the multifactor plugin.

However, you could have your java application choose the appropriate
QOS.  You might also find it worth having several different functional
users with, say, different numbers of shares.

Cheers,

Loris

--
Dr. Loris Bennett (Mr.)