[slurm-users] How to allocate SMT cores

Maik Schmidt maik.schmidt at tu-dresden.de
Fri Dec 7 05:33:44 MST 2018

Hi all,

we recently got ourselves some Power9 nodes with 4-way SMT. However,
other than using --exclusive I cannot seem to find a possibility to make
SLURM allocate all SMT threads for me. There simply does not seem to
exist a parameter for that. One might think that --threads-per-core
would be right, but this only limits the job to run on nodes that have
ThreadsPerCore=x set, it does not actually allocate the CPUs.

Also, I cannot use more than -c 44 even though the node has CPUTot=176,
so it's not possible to allocate all (virtual) cores.

So, how can this be done?

Here are some relevant SLURM config settings:

NodeName=taurusml[1-22] Feature=IB Gres=gpu:6 Procs=176 Sockets=2
CoresPerSocket=22 ThreadsPerCore=4 RealMemory=450000 Weight=128

TaskPlugin              = task/cgroup
TaskPluginParam         = cpusets,autobind=threads

Still on SLURM 17.02.11 if that is relevant.

Thanks in advance.

--
Maik Schmidt
HPC Services

Technische Universität Dresden
Zentrum für Informationsdienste und Hochleistungsrechnen (ZIH)
Willers-Bau A116
D-01062 Dresden
Telefon: +49 351 463-32836