[slurm-users] Configuration issue on Ubuntu

Chris Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Tue Aug 28 15:04:27 MDT 2018

On Tuesday, 28 August 2018 11:43:54 PM AEST Umut Arus wrote:

> It seems the main problem is; slurmctld: fatal: No front end nodes defined

Frontend nodes are for IBM BlueGene and Cray systems where you cannot run
slurmd on the compute nodes themselves so a proxy system must be used instead
(at $JOB-1 we used this on our BG/Q system).  I strongly suspect you are not
running on either of those!

https://slurm.schedmd.com/slurm.conf.html

# These options may only be used on systems configured and built with the
# appropriate parameters (--have-front-end, --enable-bluegene-emulation)
# or a system determined to have the appropriate architecture by the
# configure script (BlueGene or Cray systems).

If you built Slurm yourself you'll need to check you didn't use those
arguments by mistake or configure didn't enable them in error, and if this is
an Ubuntu package then it's probably an bug in how they packaged it!

Best of luck,
Chris