[slurm-users] Single machine config. - please advice

Marcelo Z. da Silva marcelo at zx64.org
Fri Aug 24 20:12:48 MDT 2018

Good evening,

I'm trying (with no much success so far) to use slurm on a single machine
and achieve the following:

- config multiple "partitions" (queues) with different (enforced) resource
limits (cpu, mem and time) on each
- set access controls on them in order to permit only selected users (or
"accounts") to submit jobs

As a bonus I'd like to limit (using cgroups, perhaps) the resources for
interactive users in order to force them to use the queueing system.

I have tried to follow the instructions in
http://rolk.github.io/2015/04/20/slurm-cluster that covers pretty much of
what I'm trying to do but it lacks the details on setting up the queue
limits and the interaction of cgroups and slurm (would it be necessary to
run srun or slurmd setuid to user "slurm" so the process submited would
not be constrained by cgroups?)

But, the real question is, for now: is slurm suited for this scenario or
it'd be better to use some other tool? Please advice.

Machine details:

# slurmd -C
NodeName=m1 CPUs=192 Boards=6 SocketsPerBoard=12 CoresPerSocket=8
ThreadsPerCore=2 RealMemory=1499581 TmpDisk=141063

OS: Debian 9.5
Slurm version: 16.05.9 (from the repositories)

Thanks for your time

Marcelo.