[slurm-users] "Partly Cloudy" conference Oct'18 in Seattle

Petersen, Dirk petersen at fredhutch.org
Wed Aug 22 17:08:58 MDT 2018

All,

Registration is open for the 2018 Partly Cloudy conference:  http://partly-cloudy.fredhutch.org

While this conference is not Slurm specific, many smaller Slurm shops have already confirmed their attendance to the "Partly Cloudy" conference in Seattle so this shameless plug feels relevant to some of you.

Shops that provide compute infrastructures (HPC, big Data, Containers) continue to be challenged by  questions such as "what to cloud", "if to cloud", "when to cloud".  Some of us want to use the cloud at certain times (bursting) and others bring up certain services in the cloud and combine them with on-prem resources in a cost efficient way and ...surprise ... things do not always work as advertised. Over the last year we at Fred Hutch have made  significant some significant investments in getting integrated Slurm clusters running in AWS and Google cloud.

AIRI conference:

https://www.slideshare.net/dirkpetersen/scientific-computing-fred-hutch

Google Next:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw_CR2WgPRY&t=5s

While I am still working with all 3 cloud providers in Seattle on recruiting speakers with a focus on hybrid-cloud I am forwarding the announcement my friend Stuart Kendrick (who did much of the real work) already sent to his large network, apologies for any duplicates and perhaps I see you in Seattle this fall.

Thanks much
Dirk

Hi folks,

Registration is open for the 2018 Partly Cloudy conference:  http://partly-cloudy.fredhutch.org

This conference is aimed at IT infrastructure folks who want to talk with peers about how to flow between on-prem systems and cloud systems, in support of scientific research.

Dirk Petersen (Fred Hutch) is driving this, with support from myself (Allen Institute / coordination), Bob Robbins (consultant), and Donna Obuchowski (Fred Hutch / logistics).

Format

10/24 Dinner                           Informal discussion, get to know each other
10/25 Morning                         The speakers talk about their experiences, Q&A
10/25 Afternoon                      Split into working groups to talk informally about current challenges
10/25 End-of-the-Day             Bring everyone together to summarize lessons-learned

Mostly, we expect a regional audience, and we emphasize attending in-person. That being said, this is a prototype run for what we imagine will be a nationally-relevant conference, which we intend to host in 2019.  To that end, we will offer, experimentally, virtual attendance - streamed plus the ability to 'raise your hand and ask a question'.

Dirk Petersen
Scientific Computing Director
Fred Hutch
1100 Fairview Ave. N.
Mail Stop M4-A882
Seattle, WA 98109
Phone: 206.667.5926
Skype: internetchen

[cid:8C6A9079-96CB-447C-94D9-DD59438042C1]