[slurm-users] Partition 'alias'?

Chris Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Tue Apr 24 02:18:33 MDT 2018

On Tuesday, 24 April 2018 5:40:22 PM AEST Diego Zuccato wrote:

> I'd say they do *not* act as a single partition... Unless I missed some
> key detail, once a node is assigned a job in a partition, it's
> unavailable *as a whole* to other partitions.

No, that's not right, we have overlapping partitions where one is for non-GPU
jobs (which get 32 of 36 cores per node) and another for GPU jobs (which gets
all 36 cores - our submit filter enforces partition selection) and a job from
one partition can start on a node which has jobs from the other partition (or
both) on it.

A job can be submitted to many partitions (modulo local policy) but once it
starts it is only in one partition, that might be what you are thinking of
here.

All the best,
Chris