[slurm-users] slurm jobs are pending but resources are available

Marius.Cetateanu at sony.com Marius.Cetateanu at sony.com
Thu Apr 19 02:33:37 MDT 2018

> Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 12:50:57 -0400
> From: Michael Di Domenico <mdidomenico4 at gmail.com>
> To: Slurm User Community List <slurm-users at lists.schedmd.com>
> Subject: Re: [slurm-users] slurm jobs are pending but resources are
>       available

> perhaps i missed something in the email, but it sounds like you have
> 56 cores, you have two running jobs that consume 52 cores, leaving you
> four free.  then a third job came along and requested 20 cores (based
> on the the show job output).  slurm doesn't overcommit resources, so a
> 20 cpu job will not fit if there are only four cpus free

I think you might have missed something in the email as in fact I have 56 cores
and I "request" 52 in total: 2 jobs requesting 16 cores and one requesting 20 - that can
be clearly seen from the logs I have "attached" in my message.

The jobs requesting 16 cores come from the same user and are properly allocated but
the one requesting 20 cores comes from another user and it's put in pending state although
there are still 24 cores available.

Marius Cetateanu
Senior Embedded Software Engineer
Engineering Department 1, Driver & Embedded
Sony Depthsensing Solutions
Tel:  +32 (0)28992171
email: Marius.Cetateanu at sony.com

Sony Depthsensing Solutions
11 Boulevard de la Plaine, 1050 Brussels, Belgium

If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. This
footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked for all
known viruses.
Sony DepthSensing Solutions SA/NV
Registered Office: 11 Boulevard de la Plaine, 1050 Brussels, Belgium
Registered number: RPM/RPR Brussels 0811 784 189