[slurm-users] Slurm and memory

Dmitri Chebotarov dchebota at gmu.edu
Mon Apr 9 08:39:12 MDT 2018

Hello

I'm trying to figure out how to change SLURM's behavior on gathering free memory from nodes.
At this time 'sinfo' reports 'free' memory from the node (and not 'available'):

F.e:

#sinfo -eN -o %N,%m,%e,%C
NODE067,64170,14672,0/32/0/32

I can see the NODE067 has no jobs running - 0 CPUs allocated, but SLURM reports 14672 out of 64170 is available, while in fact 'free -m' command reports '62830' as available.

[dchebota at NODE067 ~]$ free -m
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:          64170         704       14669          35       48795       62830
Swap:         10239           0       10239

Is it possible to change SLURM's behavior to read 'available' instead of 'free'?
'buff/cache' is considered as available memory and will be allocated when needed.

So far, I need to run 'sync && echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches' to clear 'buff/cache' as workaround.

Thank you,
--
Dmitri Chebotarov.
George Mason University,