[slurm-users] PMIx and Slurm

Artem Polyakov artpol84 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 14:41:18 MST 2017

Hello, Paul

Please see below.

> So in an effort to future proof ourselves we are trying to build Slurm
> against PMIx, but when I tried to do so I got the following:
>
> Transaction check error:
>   file /usr/lib64/libpmi.so from install of slurm-17.02.9-1fasrc02.el7.centos.x86_64
> conflicts with file from package pmix-2.0.2-1.el7.centos.x86_64
>   file /usr/lib64/libpmi2.so from install of slurm-17.02.9-1fasrc02.el7.centos.x86_64
> conflicts with file from package pmix-2.0.2-1.el7.centos.x86_64
>
> This is with compiling Slurm with the --with-pmix=/usr option.  A few
> things:
>
> 1. I'm surprised when I tell it to use PMIx it still builds its own
> versions of libpmi and pmi2 given that PMIx handles that now.

PMIx is a plugin and from multiple perspectives it makes sense to keep the
other versions available (i.e. backward compat or perf comparison)

> 2. Does this mean I have to install PMIx in a nondefault location?  If so
> how does that work with user build codes?  I'd rather not have multiple
> versions of PMI around for people to build against.

When we introduced PMIx it was in the beta stage and we didn't want to
build against it by default. Now it probably makes sense to assume
--with-pmix by default.
I'm also thinking that we might need to solve it at the packagers level by
distributing "slurm-pmix" package that is builded and depends on the pmix
package that is currently shipped with particular Linux distro.

> 3.  What is the right way of building PMIx and Slurm such that they
> interoperate properly?

As for now it is better to have a PMIx installed in the well-known
location. And then build your MPIs or other apps against this PMIx
installation.
Starting (I think) from PMIx v2.1 we will have a cross-version support that
will give some flexibility about what installation to use with application,

> Suffice it to say little to no documentation exists on how to properly
> this, so any guidance would be much appreciated.

Indeed we have some problems with the documentation as PMIx technology is
relatively new. Hopefully we can fix this in near future.
Being the original developer of the PMIx plugin I'll be happy to answer any
questions and help to resolve the issues.

--
С Уважением, Поляков Артем Юрьевич
Best regards, Artem Y. Polyakov