[slurm-users] PMIx and Slurm

Paul Edmon pedmon at cfa.harvard.edu
Tue Nov 28 14:13:24 MST 2017

So in an effort to future proof ourselves we are trying to build Slurm
against PMIx, but when I tried to do so I got the following:

Transaction check error:
   file /usr/lib64/libpmi.so from install of
slurm-17.02.9-1fasrc02.el7.centos.x86_64 conflicts with file from
package pmix-2.0.2-1.el7.centos.x86_64
   file /usr/lib64/libpmi2.so from install of
slurm-17.02.9-1fasrc02.el7.centos.x86_64 conflicts with file from
package pmix-2.0.2-1.el7.centos.x86_64

This is with compiling Slurm with the --with-pmix=/usr option.  A few
things:

1. I'm surprised when I tell it to use PMIx it still builds its own
versions of libpmi and pmi2 given that PMIx handles that now.

2. Does this mean I have to install PMIx in a nondefault location?  If
so how does that work with user build codes?  I'd rather not have
multiple versions of PMI around for people to build against.

3.  What is the right way of building PMIx and Slurm such that they
interoperate properly?

Suffice it to say little to no documentation exists on how to properly
this, so any guidance would be much appreciated.

-Paul Edmon-