[slurm-users] Fwd: Problem installing slurm on computer cluster

Philip Kovacs pkdevel at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 16 12:17:47 MST 2017

>Forgive me for saying this. I do have a bit of experience in building HPC systems.>Distro supplied software packages have improved a lot over the years.>But they do tend to be out of date compared to the latest versions of (say) Slurm.
It is actually a great deal of work to package Slurm for some distros.   It is a big package with many moving parts.  Very difficult to test comprehensively on multiple architectures and with hundreds/thousands of possible configurations.   That said, I think I do a fairly good job with the Fedora releases.  It is volunteer work for most of us.
Phil

    On Thursday, November 16, 2017 9:08 AM, John Hearns <hearnsj at gmail.com> wrote:

 Forgive me for saying this. I do have a bit of experience in building HPC systems.Distro supplied software packages have improved a lot over the years.But they do tend to be out of date compared to the latest versions of (say) Slurm.I really would say you should consider downloading and installing from the vendors site.The same thing goes for compilers, MPI, and many software packages.
Yes, the distro supplied debs or RPMs are easy to install and will be tested against that distro.But (again) they will eb installed locally on the nodes. So again with compilers, MPI , Python modules....you tend to instlal these on a network shared drive so that you have one central install.

On 16 November 2017 at 14:47, E V <eliventer at gmail.com> wrote:

You may need to install a systemd override file if you have some of
the system config left over, it has the path set to /usr/bin/. Example
for slurmd, slurmctld and slurmdbd are the same just changing the
names:

cat /etc/systemd/system/slurmd. service.d/override.conf
[Service]
ExecStart=
ExecStart=/usr/local/sbin/ slurmd $SLURMD_OPTIONS