[slurm-users] [slurm-dev] Re: Installing SLURM locally on Ubuntu 16.04

E V eliventer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 11:36:19 MST 2017

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 10:15 AM, Benjamin Redling <
benjamin.rampe at uni-jena.de> wrote:

> On 11/12/17 4:52 PM, Gennaro Oliva wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Nov 12, 2017 at 10:03:18AM -0500, Will L wrote:
>>

> I just tried `sudo apt-get remove --purge munge`, etc., and munge itself
>>>

> this should have uninstalled slurm-wlm also, did you reinstalled it with
>> apt?
>>

> seems to be working fine. But I still get `slurmctld: error: Couldn't find
>>> the specified plugin name for crypto/munge looking at all files`. Is
>>> there
>>>

> if you didn't reinstall slurm with apt you may be using the slurmctld
>> executable from a failed source installation, and for some reason this
>> can't find the corresponding plugin directory.
>>

> I suggest to try to install the slurm-wlm package with:
>>

> apt-get install slurm-wlm
>>
> I would *currently* avoid the Debian (Stretch) packages like the plague:
> the last update tried to (re)start slurmctld which -- surprise, surprise
> -- fails on every node that's not the master with an exit code that leaves
> the packages unconfigured.
>
> That raises the question if anyone did bother to test them on a multi-node
> cluster
>
> I'm still hoping I messed that up and not the maintainer. Maybe I expect
> to much from an "apt upgrade" nowadays...
>
> Regards,
> Benjamin
> --
> FSU Jena | JULIELab.de/Staff/Benjamin+Redling.html
> ☎ +49 3641 9 44323

For debian stretch, the slurm daemon have been broken out into different
packages. So the nodes only need to install the slurmd package. slurm-wlm
installs everything and thus is only needed on the controller nodes. Or
skip slurm-wlm all together and just install slurmctld on the controller
nodes and slurmd on the compute nodes.