[slurm-users] [slurm-dev] Re: Installing SLURM locally on Ubuntu 16.04

Raymond Wan rwan.work at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 01:04:32 MST 2017

Hi Will,

On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 11:01 AM, Will L <will.landau at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions. Munge seems to be working just fine. At one point I tried to build SLURM from the source, but when I could not make it work, I `sudo make uninstall`ed it and opted for the pre-built apt version all over again. Maybe that made a mess. What should I do to make SLURM notice munge and other utilities?

Yes, that wasn't probably a good idea.  I've had SLURM working on a
single computer since Ubuntu 15.04 or 15.10 using the packages without
a lot of problems.  I haven't had to turn to installing from source
[yet]...

During the setup of munge, you ran commands such as this:

sudo create-munge-key -f -r
sudo systemctl enable munge
sudo systemctl start munge

(I guess the third line doesn't matter if you reboot.)

So, after you rebooted, did you see /usr/sbin/munged running and owned
by the munge user?

> Also, here is my current slurm.conf.

One issue I had with the SLURM packages for Ubuntu (especially 1-2
years ago) was that the configurator at
/usr/share/doc/slurmctld/slurm-wlm-configurator.html did *not* match
the version I was installing.  So I actually ended up using a
web-based configurator.

I'm not sure if that's a big problem...

Another problem with the "older" [*] SLURM packages for Ubuntu is that
many directories are not created during the installation process.  So,
in your configuration file, make sure all of the directories
/var/run/... /var/log/... have all been created and accessible by the
slurm user, at least.  First ensure that the log directories are
created...once they are, watch the log files when you do:

sudo service slurmctld start
sudo service slurmd start

and it'll tell you what directories are missing.  Actually, once you
get to the point where there are log files being generated, you're not
only close, but posting the error message might help us help you
better.

This is what comes to mind; I hope this helps!

Ray

[*]  I'm currently on Ubuntu 17.10 and the SLURM packages for that
version.  Ubuntu 16.04 is fine, but I haven't kept track of what has
changed / improved in terms of the SLURM packages...