[slurm-users] [17.11.1] no good pmi intention goes unpunished

Philip Kovacs pkdevel at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 20 19:21:29 MST 2017

>  -- slurm.spec: move libpmi to a separate package to solve a conflict with the
>    version provided by PMIx. This will require a separate change to PMIx as
>    well.
I see the intention behind this change since the pmix 2.0+ package provides libpmi/libpmi2and there is a possible (installation) conflict with the Slurm implementation of those libraries.  We've discussed  that issue earlier.
Now, suppose a user installs the pmix versions of libpmi/pmi2 with the expectation that pmicalls will be forwarded to libpmix for greater speed, the so-called "backward compatibility" feature.
Shouldn't the Slurm mpi_pmi2 plugin attempt to link with libpmi2 instead of its internal implementation of pmi2?  As it stands now, there won't be any forwarding of pmi2 code to libpmix which I imagine users would expect in that scenario.