[slurm-announce] Slurm versions 20.02.3 and 19.05.7 are now available (CVE-2020-12693)

Tim Wickberg tim at schedmd.com
Thu May 21 20:54:58 UTC 2020

Slurm versions 20.02.3 and 19.05.7 are now available, and include a
series of recent bug fixes, as well as a fix for a security issue with
the optional message aggregation feature.

SchedMD customers were informed on May 7th and provided a patch on
request; this process is documented in our security policy [1].

CVE-2020-12693:

A review of what was intended to be a minor cleanup patch uncovered an
underlying race condition for systems with Message Aggregation enabled.
This race condition could allow a user to launch a process as an
arbitrary user.

This is only an issue for systems with Message Aggregation enabled,
which we expect to be a small number of Slurm installations in practice.

Message Aggregation is off in Slurm by default, and is only enabled by
MsgAggregationParams=WindowMsgs=<msgs>, where <msgs> is greater than 1.
(Using Message Aggregation on your systems is not a recommended
configuration at this time, and we may retire this subsystem in a future
Slurm release in favor of other RPC aggregation techniques. Although
care must be taken before disabling this to avoid communication issues.)

Downloads are available at https://www.schedmd.com/downloads.php .

Release notes follow below.

- Tim

[1] https://www.schedmd.com/security.php