I hear tell that if you use ProctrackType=proctrack/linuxproc you can catch the SIGTSTP and act accordingly. So if that is possible in your setup, that may be your solution. Brian Andrus On 9/10/2026 7:38 AM, Peter via slurm-users wrote:
I am new to Slurm, sorry if my question has been asked before, I could only find some older discussions about this.
I am currently setting up a job scheduler in our company. Main bottleneck is licenses, so a license scheduler including preemption should be included. I have noticed this in the documentation:
"Because licenses are not freed when jobs are suspended, jobs using licenses requested by higher priority jobs will only be prempted when PreemptMode is either REQUEUE or CANCEL and PreemptParameters=reclaim_licenses is set."
Which means I cannot set the PreemptMode to SUSPEND, is that correct? Is that something that will ever be implemented?
I have created tres licences and implemented a polling mechanism that keeps the slurm tres licenses in sync with the real licenses. Our application automatically releases licenses when jobs get a a TSTP signal. So, all I want is the Slurm scheduler to suspend low prio jobs when needed, send a TSTP signal and let the book-keeping be done by my polling script. Is this in any way possible?