[slurm-users] A fairshare policy that spans multiple clusters

Ole Holm Nielsen Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Fri Jan 5 16:45:05 UTC 2024

On 05-01-2024 17:26, David Baker wrote:
> We are soon to install new Slurm cluster at our site. That means that we
> will have a total of three clusters running Slurm. Only two, that is the
> new clusters, will share a common file system. The original cluster has
> its own file system is independent of the new arrivals. If possible, we
> would like to try to prevent users from making significant user of all
> the clusters and get a 'triple whammy'. In other words, is there any way
> to share the fairshare information between the clusters so that a user's
> use of one of the clusters impacts their usage on the other clusters –
> if that makes sense. Does anyone have any thoughts on this question,
> please?
>
> Am I correct in thinking that federating clusters is related to my
> question? Do I gather correctly, however, that federation only works if
> there is a common database on a shared file system?

Just my 2 cents: Clusters in a federation share a common Slurm database,
otherwise they're independent clusters.  See the presentation of
federated clusters in https://slurm.schedmd.com/SC17/FederationSC17.pdf
and the documentation page https://slurm.schedmd.com/federation.html

I don't know if federated fairshare is possible.

/Ole