[slurm-users] A fairshare policy that spans multiple clusters

David Baker D.J.Baker at soton.ac.uk
Fri Jan 5 16:26:09 UTC 2024

Hello,

We are soon to install new Slurm cluster at our site. That means that we will have a total of three clusters running Slurm. Only two, that is the new clusters, will share a common file system. The original cluster has its own file system is independent of the new arrivals. If possible, we would like to try to prevent users from making significant user of all the clusters and get a 'triple whammy'. In other words, is there any way to share the fairshare information between the clusters so that a user's use of one of the clusters impacts their usage on the other clusters – if that makes sense. Does anyone have any thoughts on this question, please?

Am I correct in thinking that federating clusters is related to my question? Do I gather correctly, however, that federation only works if there is a common database on a shared file system?

Best regards,
David