[slurm-users] Steps to upgrade slurm for a patchlevel change?

Ole Holm Nielsen Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Fri Sep 29 16:18:08 UTC 2023

On 29-09-2023 17:33, Ryan Novosielski wrote:
> I’ll just say, we haven’t done an online/jobs running upgrade recently
> (in part because we know our database upgrade will take a long time, and
> we have some processes that rely on -M), but we have done it and it does
> work fine. So the paranoia isn’t necessary unless you know that, like
> us, the DB upgrade time is not tenable (Ole’s wiki has some great
> suggestions for how to test that, but they aren’t especially Slurm
> specific, it’s just a dry-run).

Slurm upgrades are clearly documented by SchedMD, and there's no reason
to worry if you follow the official procedures.  At least, it has always
worked for us :-)

Just my 2 cents: The detailed list of upgrade steps/commands (first dbd,
then ctld, then slurmds, finally login nodes) are documented in my Wiki
page
https://wiki.fysik.dtu.dk/Niflheim_system/Slurm_installation/#upgrading-slurm

The Slurm dbd upgrade instructions in
https://wiki.fysik.dtu.dk/Niflheim_system/Slurm_installation/#make-a-dry-run-database-upgrade
are totally Slurm specific, since that's the only database upgrade I've
ever made :-)  I highly recommend doing the database dry-run upgrade on
a test node before doing the real dbd upgrade!

/Ole