[slurm-users] Steps to upgrade slurm for a patchlevel change?

Ole Holm Nielsen Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Fri Sep 29 06:20:12 UTC 2023

On 9/28/23 17:58, Groner, Rob wrote:
> There's 14 steps to upgrading slurm listed on their website, including
> shutting down and backing up the database.  So far we've only updated
> slurm during a downtime, and it's been a major version change, so we've
> taken all the steps indicated.
>
> We now want to upgrade from 23.02.4 to 23.02.5.
>
> Our slurm builds end up in version named directories, and we tell
> production which one to use via symlink.  Changing the symlink will
> automatically change it on our slurm controller node and all slurmd nodes.
>
> Is there an expedited, simple, slimmed down upgrade path to follow if
> we're looking at just a . level upgrade?

Upgrading minor releases usually work without any problems.  We use RPMs
in stead of the symlink method, so I can't speak for symlinks.  I
recommend you to read the latest SLUG'23 presentations and Jason Booth's
slides https://slurm.schedmd.com/SLUG23/Field-Notes-7.pdf page 26+.

For those using the RPM method, I have collected some notes in my Wiki
page
https://wiki.fysik.dtu.dk/Niflheim_system/Slurm_installation/#upgrading-slurm

/Ole