[slurm-users] scontrol issue: Update of this parameter is not supported: StepId=

Cook, Malcolm MEC at stowers.org
Wed Sep 20 18:49:04 UTC 2023

I am trying to change the JobName of a running task, like this

	scontrol update StepId=24236.0 JobName='my new name'

and getting errors in the log file like this:

	Update of this parameter is not supported: StepId=24236.0

I get the same error when I try:

	scontrol update step StepId=24239.0 JobName='my new name'

The following works to change the whole job's JobName

	scontrol update  JobID=24239 JobName='my new name'

Should updating the JobName for steps not be expected to work?

Perhaps I have the syntax incorrect?