[slurm-users] Fwd: Limiting I/O speed in slurm jobs

Eugene Teoh eugenetwc1 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 17:26:37 UTC 2023

Hi guys,

I'm trying to figure out how to set a per task/job limit for I/O speed
(IOPS, throughput or maybe both, even better, io.latency
<https://facebookmicrosites.github.io/cgroup2/docs/io-controller.html#protecting-workloads-with-iolatency>).
After reading around the documentation and forums, I'm unable to find a
setting to set this. As a workaround, I have set the limit under the
slurmstepd cgroup(v2) scope  (/sys/fs/cgroup/system.slice/slurmstepd.scope),
but this sets it at the global level, not per task. I am aware that I can
also do the same thing with systemd.resource-control
<https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.resource-control.html>.
But again, this would be at the global level. Does anyone know how to set
per-task resource limits for IO with cgroup using slurm?

Regards,
Eugene