[slurm-users] slurm comunication between versions

Ole Holm Nielsen Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Fri Nov 24 07:19:50 UTC 2023

Hi Felix,

On 11/23/23 18:14, Felix wrote:
> Will slurm-20.02 which is installed on a management node comunicate with
> slurm-22.05 installed on a work nodes?
>
> They have the same configuration file slurm.conf
>
> Or do the version have to be the same. Slurm 20.02 was installed manually
> and slurm 22.05 was installed through dnf.

It is only possible for Slurm versions in a cluster to differ by 2 major
versions.  The 22.05 slurmctld can therefore only work with slurmd 22.05,
21.08 and 20.11. The documentation is in
https://slurm.schedmd.com/quickstart_admin.html#upgrade

My Slurm Wiki page explains the details of how to upgrade Slurm versions:
https://wiki.fysik.dtu.dk/Niflheim_system/Slurm_installation/#upgrading-slurm

Please note that the current version of Slurm is now 23.11, and that only
23.11 and 23.02 are supported.  There are important security fixes that
makes it important to upgrade to a supported version of Slurm.

I hope this will help you to make the upgrades.

Best regards,
Ole