[slurm-users] REST-based CLI tools out there somewhere?

Chip Seraphine cseraphine at DRWHoldings.com
Fri Nov 10 21:12:19 UTC 2023

We actually have a bunch of people doing that.  It’s fine for “I want to just run squeue and see how busy the cluster is without having to  head over there and look”, but it starts to break down with “my GUI framework runs squeue and sacct to check job status every few seconds, all day long, per user”.  ☹

From: slurm-users <slurm-users-bounces at lists.schedmd.com> on behalf of Jared Baker <jbaker at ucar.edu>
Date: Friday, November 10, 2023 at 1:03 PM
To: Slurm User Community List <slurm-users at lists.schedmd.com>
Subject: [ext] Re: [slurm-users] REST-based CLI tools out there somewhere?

At the risk of going a bit off the rails and alternative to the REST method (maybe), but not too far as we've been thinking of alternative ways for similar things (not slurm). Anyway, SSH certificates with a forced command entry and wrapper

At the risk of going a bit off the rails and alternative to the REST method (maybe), but not too far as we've been thinking of alternative ways for similar things (not slurm). Anyway, SSH certificates with a forced command entry and wrapper for slurm commands on submit hosts along with small wrappers on their workstation end could be viable... I'm sure there are many caveats here, but very doable too.

On Fri, Nov 10, 2023 at 11:36 AM Chip Seraphine <cseraphine at drwholdings.com<mailto:cseraphine at drwholdings.com>> wrote:
> what are the security concerns?

The cluster is shared between some business units that do not want to share data, so if we install the munge key on a machine that users have administrative or physical access to it could become compromised.  This could allow them to run jobs on the cluster as another user and retrieve data from shared filesystems.

Jupyterhub is heavily used, but suffers from the same problem- it needs to be running on a submit node.  And, as you mentioned, an interactive solution has drawbacks with many types of workloads.

On 11/10/23, 1:31 AM, "slurm-users on behalf of Hagdorn, Magnus Karl Moritz" <slurm-users-bounces at lists.schedmd.com<mailto:slurm-users-bounces at lists.schedmd.com> <mailto:slurm-users-bounces at lists.schedmd.com<mailto:slurm-users-bounces at lists.schedmd.com>> on behalf of magnus.hagdorn at charite.de<mailto:magnus.hagdorn at charite.de> <mailto:magnus.hagdorn at charite.de<mailto:magnus.hagdorn at charite.de>>> wrote:

Hi Chip,
what are the security concerns? Being able to control jobs is one
thing. Your users still need to setup the jobs which presumably
involves moving data. We have provided some launchers written in python
for specific use cases (that don't involve moving data). We also have a
jupyterhub that launches notebooks on the cluster. This works quite
well, but you do end up with interactive jobs which are most likely
less efficient than batch jobs. Again, this really depends on your use
cases.
Regards
magnus

--
Magnus Hagdorn
Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin

Campus Charité Mitte
BALTIC - Invalidenstraße 120/121
10115 Berlin

https://www.charite.de<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.charite.de__;!!EvhwMw!SIr6vqft4lrIWWkAUNnXlV7SdanIAvPQWp2DWWb1IuFEzlYVtFSi790uWXd1mepoliQwP9I6MqYMOxhxvUMy$> <https://www.charite.de<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.charite.de__;!!EvhwMw!SIr6vqft4lrIWWkAUNnXlV7SdanIAvPQWp2DWWb1IuFEzlYVtFSi790uWXd1mepoliQwP9I6MqYMOxhxvUMy$>>
HPC Helpdesk: sc-hpc-helpdesk at charite.de<mailto:sc-hpc-helpdesk at charite.de> <mailto:sc-hpc-helpdesk at charite.de<mailto:sc-hpc-helpdesk at charite.de>>