[slurm-users] hi-priority partition and preemption

Groner, Rob rug262 at psu.edu
Wed May 24 13:42:11 UTC 2023

What you are describing is definitely doable.  We have our system setup similarly.  All nodes are in the "open" partition and "prio" partition, but a job submitted to the "prio" partition will preempt the open jobs.

I don't see anything clearly wrong with your slurm.conf settings.  Ours are very similar, though we use only FORCE:1 for oversubscribe.  You might try that just to see if there's a difference.

What are the sbatch settings you are using when you submit the jobs?

Do you have PreemptExemptTime set to anything in slurm.conf?

What is the reason squeue gives for the high priority jobs to be pending?

For your "run regularly" goal, you might consider scrontab.  If we can figure out priority and preemption, then that will start the job at a regular time.

Rob