[slurm-users] Unexpected negative NICE values

Juergen Salk juergen.salk at uni-ulm.de
Wed May 3 10:10:20 UTC 2023

Hi Sebastian,

maybe it's a silly thought on my part, but do you have the
`enable_user_top´ Option included in your SchedulerParameters
configuration?

This would allow regular users to use `scontrol top <job_list>´ to
push some of their jobs ahead of other jobs owned by them and this
works internally by adjusting the nice values of the specified jobs.

I may be totally wrong, but if I remember correctly it is not
recommended to configure SchedulerParameters=enable_user_top in
general, though, because regular user use of `scontrol top´ is (or
was?) supposed to introduce bad side effects in certain scenarios that
would allow users to push pending jobs ahead of normal (also
other user's) jobs in the queue, if only one of their jobs has already
a negative nice value assigned, e.g. by an administrator.

Best regards
Jürgen

* Sebastian Potthoff <s.potthoff at uni-muenster.de> [230503 10:36]: