[slurm-users] Several slurmdbds against one mysql server?

Ole Holm Nielsen Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Mon May 1 10:15:23 UTC 2023

On 5/1/23 12:08, Angel de Vicente wrote:
> Hello Ole,
>
> Ole Holm Nielsen <Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk> writes:
>
>> As Brian wrote:
>>
>>> On a technical note: slurm keeps the detailed accounting data for each cluster
>>> in separate TABLES within a single database.
>>
>> In the Federation page
>> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://slurm.schedmd.com/federation.html__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!UXs13P7Zdf-J6x0HmI1pkRQ7dxPXonmaR08N9UtrXNcoixhdJMhbWu2-wEKkxP8qjCcbDTbNpaJyJP224dxuZU6gbW1FV7rFvg$
>> it is implicitly assumed that the sacctmgr command talks only to a single
>> slurmdbd instance.  It is not, however, explicitly stated as an answer to your
>> question.
>
> And hence my question.. because as I was saying in a previous mail,
> reading the documentation I understand that this is the standard way to
> do it, but right now I got it working the other way: in each cluster I
> have one slurmdbd daemon that connects with a single mysqld daemon in a
> third machine (option 2 from my question).
>
> I have a single database with detailed accounting data for each cluster
> in separate tables, and from each cluster I can query the whole database
> so as far as I can see all is working fine but it is implemented
> different to the standard approach.
>
> I did it this way not because I wanted something special or outside of
> the standard, simply because it was not very clear to me from the
> documentation which way to go and this came natural when implementing it
> (maybe simply because in the database machine I don't have Slurm
> installed). And I have no problem with changing the installation to a
> single slurmdbd daemon if I need to.
>
> But this being my first time I just hope to learn if this is really a
> bad idea that is going to bite me in the near future when these machines
> go to production and I should change to the standard way, or in general
> whether someone has a clear idea of the pros/cons of both ways.

If implementing Slurm for the first time, the slurm-users mailing list is
probably the most helpful way to ask questions.  The official Slurm
documentation is of course the place to start learning.  Some people have
found my Slurm Wiki page helpful:
https://wiki.fysik.dtu.dk/Niflheim_system/SLURM/
However, I do not describe federated clusters because we don't use this
aspect.

I also recommend SchedMD's paid support contracts, since they are the
experts and give a fantastic service: https://www.schedmd.com/support.php

/Ole