[slurm-users] Running Containerized Slurmctld and Slurmdb in Production?

Hanby, Mike mhanby at uab.edu
Wed Mar 15 16:48:39 UTC 2023

FYI, after more internet sleuthing (searching for “juju slurm”) I came across this outstanding looking project: Omnivector Slurm Distribution (OSD): https://omnivector-solutions.github.io/osd-documentation/master/index.html

This project uses Juju (Canonical project) to deploy, configure and manage a Slurm cluster along with a variety of other components, like SlurmREST API, Prometheus integration , log forwarding via Fluentbit to Graylog and others

Deployment targets include cloud AWS/Openstack, local LXD, MAAS for baremetal…

I’ve only started to play with OSD, but it looks like a great framework for deploying Slurm clusters.

Quick install on an Ubuntu 22.04LTS host:

sudo snap install juju --classic
sudo snap install lxd
lxd init --auto
lxc network set lxdbr0 ipv6.address none
sudo ufw allow 8443/tcp
juju bootstrap --show-log localhost

Followed by a quick test of sinfo:

juju run --unit slurmctld/0 "sinfo"

PARTITION  AVAIL  TIMELIMIT  NODES  STATE NODELIST
osd-slurmd    up   infinite      1  down* juju-65df3d-2

juju run --unit slurmctld/0 "sinfo -R"

REASON               USER      TIMESTAMP           NODELIST
New node             slurm     2023-03-15T01:21:21 juju-65df3d-2

Mike