[slurm-users] PreemptExemptTime

Groner, Rob rug262 at psu.edu
Fri Mar 10 21:10:50 UTC 2023

Could you give me an idea of what your partition and qos settings are?  I've tried the following and I'm getting odd results:

slurm.conf
PreemptType: preempt/qos
PreemptMode: 'SUSPEND,GANG'
PreemptExemptTime: '00:00:00'

Partitions:
PartitionName=DEFAULT OverSubscribe=FORCE:1 Nodes=slurm[2-4]
PartitionName=active Default=YES QOS=normal
PartitionName=hipri Default=NO QOS=expedite

QOS:
sacctmgr -i modify qos where name=normal set PreemptExemptTime=00:03:00 PreemptMode=SUSPEND
sacctmgr -i modify qos where name=expedite set PreemptExemptTime=-1 PreemptMode=OFF

I took these settings directly from the google group I linked before, and I'm seeing what he's seeing...that no preemption happens.  What I see is that, even if a job from "active" is already running, slurm will let me submit jobs from hipri to take up resources as though the active job wasn't there.  In other words, there's some time sharing going on, even though the jobs are different partitions.  The online docs indicate that jobs from different partitions should NOT be time sharing.  I also do not see the "active" job getting preempted once it has run through its preempexempttime.  It never gets preempted.

Thanks.

Rob