[slurm-users] Does Slurm have any equivalent to LSF elim for generating dynamic node resources

Wagner, Marcus wagner at itc.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Mar 3 09:14:18 UTC 2023

Hi Amir,

as far as I can tell, there is no way to create resources dynamically.

In general, a gres is a generic resource, e.g. tmp-Space, or whatever
could be scheduled and must be restricted by a job.

A feature is more like a binary switch. You could for example set a
feature "amd" on all amd nodes and "intel" on all intel nodes. For
submission, one can then use --constraint=intel, such that the job will
get scheduled onto a node, which has the "intel" feature.
But what you can do with features is, activate or deactivate features.
There is a set of features, which you enter for each node in the
slurm.conf. Here you could e.g. give EVERY node the "intel" and "amd"
feature. You could then e.g. in a nodehealtcheck script deactivate the
amd feature, if you are on an intel node.
One can see the difference between the AvailableFeatures ( which you
entered in slurm.conf ) and the ActiveFeatures by executing "scontrol
show node <nodename>" for the node.

Best
Marcus