[slurm-users] Debian dist-upgrade?

Steffen Grunewald steffen.grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Tue Jan 24 15:24:31 UTC 2023

Salut Stephane,

On Tue, 2023-01-24 at 15:53:03 +0100, Stephane Vaillant wrote:
> Le 24/01/2023 à 10:09, Steffen Grunewald a écrit :
> > Hello,
> >
> > is there anyone using plain Debian with Slurm (as provided by the OS repository),
> > who might have suggestions for our upgrade from Buster to Bullseye?
> > Of course we'd like to keep the database (user definitions and job history), but
> > We're now running version 18.08.5.2 (Buster's version) while Bullseye comes with
> > 20.11.x, which is beyond the 2-version upgrade range. Is there hope (and how to
> > verify that) that a dist-upgrade would do the right thing?
>
> Hello,
>
> I've done an upgrade from Debian 7 (slurm 2.3.4) to Debian 8 (slurm
> 14.03.9).

I don't remember when the naming scheme was changed... but apparently it took you
two intermediate stages:

>  - download and compile an intermediary version (2.4.5)
>  - redo the same for another intermediary version (2.6.9)
>  - finally install slurm from Debian 8 (14.03.9)
[...]
> Preparing the upgrade procedure on an experimental setup was time consuming
> but rewarding.

If this slurmdbd machine was the only thing I'd have to care about I might
consider going the same way, but...
... basically you're saying that for Deb 7->8 no smooth dist-upgrade was
possible. Given that my upgrade path will be 10->11, I'm still hoping that
this might be easier.
My user base is small, and the history isn't too valuable, so I might as
well start from scratch.

Thanks,
 Steffen