[slurm-users] Maintaining slurm config files for test and production clusters

Groner, Rob rug262 at psu.edu
Wed Jan 4 17:22:48 UTC 2023

We currently have a test cluster and a production cluster, all on the same network.  We try things on the test cluster, and then we gather those changes and make a change to the production cluster.  We're doing that through two different repos, but we'd like to have a single repo to make the transition from testing configs to publishing them more seamless.  The problem is, of course, that the test cluster and production clusters have different cluster names, as well as different nodes within them.

Using the include directive, I can pull all of the NodeName lines out of slurm.conf and put them into %c-nodes.conf files, one for production, one for test.  That still leaves me with two problems:

  *   The clustername itself will still be a problem.  I WANT the same slurm.conf file between test and production...but the clustername line will be different for them both.  Can I use an env var in that cluster name, because on production there could be a different env var value than on test?
  *   The gres.conf file.  I tried using the same "include" trick that works on slurm.conf, but it failed because it did not know what the "ClusterName" was.  I think that means that either it doesn't work for anything other than slurm.conf, or that the clustername will have to be defined in gres.conf as well?

Any other suggestions of how to keep our slurm files in a single source control repo, but still have the flexibility to have them run elegantly on either test or production systems?

Thanks.