[slurm-users] speed / efficiency of sacct vs. scontrol

Ward Poelmans ward.poelmans at vub.be
Mon Feb 27 12:24:54 UTC 2023

On 24/02/2023 18:34, David Laehnemann wrote:
> Those queries then should not have to happen too often, although do you
> have any indication of a range for when you say "you still wouldn't
> want to query the status too frequently." Because I don't really, and
> would probably opt for some compromise of every 30 seconds or so.

I think this is exactly why hpc sys admins are sometimes not very happy about these tools. You're talking about 10000 of jobs on one hand yet you want fetch the status every 30 seconds? What is the point of that other then overloading the scheduler?

We're telling your users not to query the slurm too often and usually give 5 minutes as a good interval. You have to let slurm do it's job. There is no point in querying in a loop every 30 seconds when we're talking about large numbers of jobs.

Ward