[slurm-users] I just had a "conversation" with ChatGPT about working DMTCP, OpenMPI and SLURM. Here are the results

Christopher Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Sat Feb 18 20:38:12 UTC 2023

On 2/10/23 11:06 am, Analabha Roy wrote:

> I'm having some complex issues coordinating OpenMPI, SLURM, and DMTCP in
> my cluster.

If you're looking to try checkpointing MPI applications you may want to
experiment with the MANA ("MPI-Agnostic, Network-Agnostic MPI") plugin
for DMTCP here: https://github.com/mpickpt/mana

We (NERSC) are collaborating with the developers and it is installed on
Cori (our older Cray system) for people to experiment with. The
documentation for it may be useful to others who'd like to try it out -
it's got a nice description of how it works too which even I as a
non-programmer can understand.
https://docs.nersc.gov/development/checkpoint-restart/mana/

Pay special attention to the caveats in our docs though!

I've not used it myself, though I'm peripherally involved to give advice
on system related issues.

All the best,
Chris
--